John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. Jesus Christ is THE TRUTH. As Christ's followers, we are to walk in truth and have integrity. The following key verses give us insight into how we may further grow in Christ Jesus: I. THE BELIEVER AND TRUTH.
The Believer in Christ should...
1. In truth speak, Zech. 8:16; Eph. 4:25.
Zech 8:16 These are the things that ye shall do; Speak ye every man the truth to his neighbour; execute the judgment of truth and peace in your gates
Eph 4:25 Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another.
2. In truth walk, 1 Kings 2:4; 2 Kings 20:3; 3 John 4.
1Kings 2:4 That the LORD may continue his word which he spake concerning me, saying, If thy children take heed to their way, to walk before me in truth with all their heart and with all their soul, there shall not fail thee (said he) a man on the throne of Israel.
2Kings 20:3 I beseech thee, O LORD, remember now how I have walked before thee in truth and with a perfect heart, and have done that which is good in thy sight. And Hezekiah wept sore.
3Jn 1:4 I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.
3. In truth serve, Josh 24:14; 1 Sam. 12:24.
Joshua 24:14 Now therefore fear the LORD, and serve him in sincerity and in truth: and put away the gods which your fathers served on the other side of the flood, and in Egypt; and serve ye the LORD.
1Samuel 12:24 Only fear the LORD, and serve him in truth with all your heart: for consider how great things he hath done for you.
4. In truth rejoice, 1 Cor. 13:6.
1Corinthians 13:6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
5. In truth meditate, Phil. 4:8.
Phil 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
6. In truth love, 1 John 3:18.
1Jn 3:18 My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.
7. In truth worship, John 4:24; Ps. 145:18.
John 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
Psalm 145:18 The LORD is nigh unto all them that call upon him, to all that call upon him in truth.
8. In truth obey, Rom. 2:18; Gal. 3:1.
Rom 2:18 And knowest his will, and approvest the things that are more excellent, being instructed out of the law;
Gal 3:1 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?
9. He should buy the truth, Prov. 23:23.
Prov 23:23 Buy the truth, and sell it not; also wisdom, and instruction, and understanding.
10. Rightly divide, 2 Tim. 2 :15.
2Tim 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
11. He should pray to be...
(a) Led in the truth, Psalm 25:5: "Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day."
(b) Preserved in the truth, Psalm 40:11: "Withhold not thou thy tender mercies from me, O LORD: let thy lovingkindness and thy truth continually preserve me."
(c) Heard in truth, Psalm 69:13: But as for me, my prayer is unto thee, O LORD, in an acceptable time: O God, in the multitude of thy mercy hear me, in the truth of thy salvation.
(d) To understand His truth, Daniel 9: 13: As it is written in the law of Moses, all this evil is come upon us: yet made we not our prayer before the LORD our God, that we might turn from our iniquities, and understand thy truth.
(e) That truth should not be taken out of his mouth, Psalm 119 :43: And take not the word of truth utterly out of my mouth; for I have hoped in thy judgments. a (f) That God would send out His truth, Psalm 43:3: O send out thy light and thy truth: let them lead me; let them bring me unto thy holy hill, and to thy tabernacles.
(g) That He would prepare truth, Psalm 61:7: He shall abide before God for ever: O prepare mercy and truth, which may preserve him.
II. WHAT THE TRUTH IS ABLE TO DO FOR THE BELIEVER:
1. To regenerate, James 1:18: Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.
2. To make free, John 8:32: And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
3. To sanctify, John 17:17: Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
4. To shield, Psalm 91:4: He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.
5. To preserve, Psalm 40:11: Withhold not thou thy tender mercies from me, O LORD: let thy lovingkindness and thy truth continually preserve me.
6. To establish, 2 Peter 1:12: Wherefore I will not be negligent to put you always in remembrance of these things, though ye know them, and be established in the present truth.
7. To gird, Ephesians 6:14: Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
8. To purify, 1 Peter 1:22: Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:
By J. HIXON IRVING. Borrowed from the book, "Gold from Ophir," By James E. Wolfe Modified for the web by Cobblestone Road Ministries.